Releasing the parking brake manually
In the event of an electrical power loss or electrical malfunction, you can release the parking brake manually.
Secure the vehicle against rolling
Before releasing the parking brake manually, and whenever you park the vehicle with the parking brake released, ensure that position P of the automatic transmission is engaged. Note the display in the instrument cluster.
In addition, secure the vehicle against rolling, e.g. with a wheel chock. Otherwise there is a danger that the vehicle could roll if parked on a steep slope.◀
Jump-starting and towing
1. Open the left-hand side panel in the cargo area.
2. Remove the first aid kit and the warning triangle.
Close the bracket of the warning triangle.
3. Insert the releasing tool or screwdriver, contained in the tool kit under the cargo floor panel, at the releasing point.
4. Firmly pull the releasing tool or screwdriver upward against the mechanical resistance, refer to arrow, until a considerable increase in force is felt and the parking brake is then clearly heard to release.
5. Stow the releasing tool or screwdriver, warning triangle, and first aid kit and close the left side panel in the cargo area.
Have the malfunction corrected
Have the malfunction corrected at the nearest service center or at a workshop that works according to BMW repair procedures with correspondingly trained personnel. If the parking brake has been released manually in response to a malfunction, only technicians can return it to operation.◀
Following manual release, the actual status of the parking brake may deviate from that displayed by the indicator lamp.
The yellow warning lamp flashes and then lights up continuously. A Check Control message is displayed. No flat tire can be detected. Display in the following situations: ▷ A wheel with ...
Shatter-proof containers and no hot drinks Use light and shatter-proof containers and do not transport hot drinks. Otherwise, there is the increased danger of injury in an accident. Unsuit ...
The navigation system can determine the precise position of the vehicle, with the aid of satellites and vehicle sensors, and can reliably guide you to every entered destination. Navigation data ...